Thursday, May 29, 2008

Early Morning

I set the alarm this morning for 5.45 in a bid not to repeat last week’s mistake and get up too late. I had R. lying next to me east/west rather than north/south. G. was away in Trier for the night so there was enough room in the bed and I didn’t mind him being there. Unfortunately the little blighter had fallen asleep on the sofa yesterday afternoon at around 4.30 p.m. and must have slept for at least half an hour before I spotted him and woke him up. As a result R. was awake for half the night and in no mood to “go to sleep” at eight o’clock, at nine o’clock or even ten o’clock. Annelies, who came to babysit whilst I went to yoga, looked distinctly harassed by the time I came home. Hope we’re not going to loose her – she’s such a good babysitter. Must have a word with L. and tell her not get all uppity when I’m away.

In any case at around half past nine last night R. drove J. into the visitors room with all his jumping on beds, playing with electronic toys and turning lights on and off. When I went to go and check on R. at 10.15 p.m. he asked “Is it time to get up now Mummy? Are we going to school?”. Later just as I was about to nod off I heard him switch all the lights on and come down the stairs on his bum, bumpity bump.

“Mummy can I sleep in your bed tonight?”

It just seemed like too much of an effort to refuse and so he ended up sleeping next to me. He was still fiddling around when I dropped off at around eleven. Guess the Gods only know what time R. finally dropped off to sleep but when the alarm went at 5.45 a.m. he didn’t wake up. Phew. Nor did he wake up when I crept downstairs to make a cup of tea, nor when I opened the curtains and window to let in the cool morning air and early dawn light, nor when I turned by bedside lamp on and poured the tea. Fantastic – because this very early time in the morning when everything is still and quiet is my absolutely favourite time of the day and I don’t want it to be spoilt with early morning toddler demands and tantrums.

Outside the rain was pouring silently but heavily and the birds in the trees chirping like mad. I enjoyed the early morning gloom and dim light. In any case having got up early I still had time to read my book: Night Sky by Clair Francis. Now I know this is not high-brow literature but I am just loving the plot. Its such a good yarn that I can’t wait to pick it up again and go on reading. For such a long time I feel as though I’ve read so many books that I simple have to put down and forget about and not get beyond the second or third chapter. My shelves are littered with the wrecks of half read and discarded books – mostly Pulitzer and Booker prize novels. So, what with the weather being wet and damp, and R. sleeping soundly next to me, and having a warm pot of tea close at hand and some biscuits on the bedside locker I had a wonderful early morning reading about trying to pick up airmen along the Brittany coast in cold stormy conditions.

Once the household was woken up the kids behaved really, really admirably. I think this evening I might award them a medal for prompt and efficient morning services. They all helped out – well the three eldest did. R. had a go at a tantrum but stopped when I gave him a third biscuit and later let K.M. get him dressed. So, what with one thing or another we actually got off on time and were outside the school gate with three minutes to spare. Today, my friends I fitted into that size 8 corset. Yeay! Only thing is that that rain that was so cosy and beautiful at 6 a.m. was a right nuisance by the time we set off. We all got pretty wet on our bikes. Still, its pretty warm and muggy outside so I hope the kids dried off pretty quickly.

In other news:

Belle ran off with J.’s schnitzel when J. had his back turned to go and get a drink. I threw her into the garden for such a misdemeanour. However, when she stood at the door, licking her chops with a “What d’you mean buddy? You would have done the same” look on her face we had to laugh. She was in the dog house for a while though. I don’t want her to get into any nasty habits.


I later went to the gym smelling like a Wiener Schnitzel. Honestly, fried oil really does cling and I felt sorry for the lady standing next to me. With every swing of the arm I could smell fried schnitzel.


On Sunday I took the three eldest to Takako’s piano concert. It was attended by six or so other families whose kids take lessons with Takako. K.M. and L. played really very well and J. played “raindrops” with his Beckham shirt on.


G. went to run the 20 km up in Brussels with 25 000 other participants on Sunday afternoon. He ran it in 1 hr and 40 min. Not bad – but he did say it was very hot and his felt a bit creaky for a few days afterwards.


Jan has finished off plastering the old kitchen. It looks amazing. Now I just have to find time to paint the room and go to IKEA to buy some shelves. We intend to turn it into a play-room. It is tiny 2m x 4 m – still I’m fed up with all the toys littering our lounge. Time for a change. As usual we have no time to paint and I can’t see a spare afternoon coming up anytime soon.


This week-end we have the school fete, where the children will be taking part in a “talent show”. K.M is practicing her steps in the kitchen all the time. G. has volunteered to help out with the clearing-up afterwards and on Sunday we go to Tante Heleen and Nonkel Nick for a birthday party.

1 Comments:

Blogger rebecca said...

early mornings like that are such a treat - pleased to hear you had such a relaxed time.

I was also in stitches about the Weiner schnitzel - I can just see it - and you afterwards, lol

xx

3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home