Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Painting the imagination grey

I distinctly remember that as a teenager I vowed I would never fall for a “routine” job. How dull. A nine to five job. Yawn. How I disliked the word routine. The thought of routine was like painting my imagination grey.

My memory of hating routine was brought sharply back into focus a couple of years ago when a friend rang to tell me she had been invited to an “Anti-routine party” over the week-end. “What?! Anti-routine.” I thought. Are you and your friends completely bonkers. “How can you at the age of 33 with two young children and job go to an anti-routine party? Imagine being responsible for organising one.” How life moves on hey.

I’ve become a sad specimen of what I once used to be. However, I hereby confess that any change – and I mean any change - to my usual routine makes me freak out. Literally. I’ve come to the sad realisation that far from trying to smash the routine my routine is, in fact, broken more often than I care for.

It’s a fragile thing. Vulnerable to “last minute changes” and “sick children” and “departures” and “teacher training days” and “half-terms” and “I can’t make it today”. I have become such a control freak because in the absence of any organised routine my precious, so very very precious, few moments in the evening when I can finally unwind and switch off, evaporates leaving me and G. having to do things post 8 p.m., like: sorting out laundry, hanging up laundry, folding laundry; clearing away dishes; tidying up….etc. etc. These are all very unpalatable at the best of times but even more so in the late evening.

Anyway on 8 January 2007 we gloriously slipped back into our usual humdrum routine kinda lifestyle. Phew. Kids are all safely back at school/nursery. My wonderful friends Agneska and Theresa are back from their holidays to help clean the house and do the ironing. (I know I am spoilt but when they are gone for three weeks I rediscover all the pains of ironing). And I am back behind the desk. So, if you’re wondering how the VC-G’s are doing well, I at least, am very happy to be back in our usual routine after all the excitement of Christmas.

2 Comments:

Blogger rebecca said...

Not grey darling, just a nice shade or Lamp Room Grey or Paris White ;)

1:20 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Ahh.. Paris White it is then... that leaves just enough space for imaginative expansion. Although I am thinking of going for Lamp Room grey in the corridor...what do you think?

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home